4.15.2012

Day 6

Menu #6:

Breakfast: Fridge Oatmeal
Lunch: Greek style salad
Dinner: Healthy General Tso's Chicken

Assessment of Day 5:

Yesterday was a YUMMY day! The food looked great and tasted just as great! Right now, I really want ice cream ... with chocolate ... and I big fat greasy burger ... but I still abstain :(


Greek Style Salad




So I took the salad greens I had and made the base. Added cucumber, chopped tomatoes and extra kalamata olives all cut up. Chicken on top. And this dressing was pretty darn good.

_________________

Greek Dressing

4 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp pepper

Squeeze of Lemon juice

____________

Notes: Alice ate lettuce! And chicken! And I even snuck in a couple of tomatoes! She was eating a peanut butter sandwich when I sat down to eat my salad with her and she wanted a bit ... and then another bite ... and another. TOTALLY AWESOME. The salad was good, but her wanting to eat some was better.


Healthy General Tso's Chicken





Sooooo this started out as a good idea, but didn't end quite like I wanted. It was good but as good as it could have been. I let the sauce cook too long because I was in the middle of cutting up chicken and that's where is went bad. If I would have just warmed it enough I think the peas would have held better and crunched more. Plus it needed more UMPH. More ginger, red pepper, something!

Recipe adapted from: Healthier General Tso's Chicken from Kitchen Simplicity

What I did different: no brown sugar. Easy on the soy. More ginger. Added sesame seeds and bean sprouts to the sauce.
__________________

Healthy General Tso's Chicken

Sauce

1 tablespoon cornstarch (flour)
1/2 cup water

2 cups snow peas, trimmed and halved diagonally

4 garlic cloves, sliced

2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger

2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Chicken and Coating
2 large egg whites
3 tablespoons cornstarch (flour)
dash of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
  1. For sauce: Mix together water and cornstarch until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Set aside.
  2. For chicken: Whisk together egg whites, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Stir in chicken.
  3. To cook: Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of oil. Add half of chicken to pan, dripping off excess coating. Cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from pan, add more oil if necessary and repeat with remaining chicken. Set the chicken aside.
  4. Add sauce to skillet and cook until snow peas are tender and sauce is thickened. Add chicken (and any collected juices) to skillet.Toss to coat.
  5. Serve with rice.

_______________________

Note: Follow directions and prep beforehand. I was rushing and tried mixing stuff together and it got mushy. Good ... but could have been better!

No comments: